Monday, June 1, 2009

Victim, Defender

A neighbor did me a favor a while back. I hadn't known her at all before then, but I got to know her a bit thanks to the favor. She told me this story, I told her I wanted to retell it. I leave her named only by her given name, but she's welcome to authorize a full identification, as she will be invited to check and correct what I tell.

Ruth lived alone but was frequently visited by her husband. He was living with other women, impregnating this and that one, but he'd visit Ruth, cajoling her for money. (They are both Jamaican, he rather obviously a RastaMan, with the 'dreads and all.)

Ruth told me that once when he beat her she'd had him arrested! Pressed charges! Ah, but then she'd hired him a lawyer, paid more to get him off!

Love. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment